When someone asks where a good fishing spot is, Fargo typically isn’t the first place you think of. However, you would be surprised by the amount and size of fish Fargo’s Woodhaven Fishing Ponds have.
With help from the ND Game and Fish Department, we have been able to stock two small water retention ponds, North Woodhaven Pond and South Woodhaven Pond, which are located in southwest Fargo. Both ponds are equipped with fishing piers to provide great accessibility. The ponds are stocked by the ND Game and Fish Department and each pond has different types of fish:
North Woodhaven Pond has:
- Adult Rainbow Trout
- Adult Bluegills
- Adult Largemouth Bass
South Woodhaven Pond has:
- Fingerlings and Adult Perch
- Adult Northern Pike
While being able to fish in Fargo is an awesome amenity to have, there are a couple rules and regulations you have to follow:
- Anglers must possess a resident or non resident North Dakota fishing license if they are over the age of 15. Youth 15 years of age and younger do not need a North Dakota fishing license.
- No illegal stocking.
- No swimming.
- No gas-powered motors are allowed, only self propelling boats.
- Catch-and-Release practices are encouraged.
- The Woodhaven Park, including the ponds are closed from dusk to dawn.
- ND Games and Fish Department fishing and boating regulations apply. For more information regarding these regulations, visit www.gf.nd.gov.
On top of the public being able to enjoy these awesome fishing ponds during the Spring and Summer months, we also host fishing derbies every year. During early June, we hold youth fishing derbies at North Woodhaven Pond for Trout Fest and in late February, we hold the annual Youth Ice Fishing Derby on South Woodhaven Pond.
If you enjoy fishing but don’t have time to travel outside of the city, or simply don’t want to fish the river, be sure to check out the Woodhaven Ponds!